Subscribe to my blog

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Jes on Lake Mungo




   Okay, so I have no idea how  to review this without making it ONE GIANT SPOILER!!!!
   I'll try really hard not to do that, but PLEASE bear in mind this is my first movie review, like, ever.
   We decided on reviewing Lake Mungo because our friend, Courtney, was over and had never seen it. We had already seen it once and I don't know about Andy, but it is certainly one of MY favorites of all time.
    Lake Mungo is done in a documentary style. No, not like Blair Witch. Like a DOCUMENTARY. A good one. Without horrible re-enactments to ruin the whole thing. All of the action in Lake Mungo comes from interviews with the characters, news footage, camera footage, and cell phone footage. There is very, very little shaky cam, so PLEASE don't let that deter you.
   What we have here, is the story of the Palmer family.
Hi! We're the Palmer family!
   The daughter of the family, Alice, drowned while out swimming with the fam.
   This is Alice. . .
Hi! I'm Alice!

      I think she is pretty.
     Anyway, shortly after her death, this guy takes a picture of the area where her body was found, and you can just barely see this figure in the background. It certainly looks like Alice to the Palmer family.
   Alice starts showing up in photographs and videos that her brother, Matthew, takes. That's all well and good right up until. . .
                                        HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!!!

we find out that Matthew has faked the footage. All of it. And that's about when the movie starts really rolling.
   I really don't want to ruin this for you guys, so I am just going to shut up now.
   PLEASE see this movie. It's not just another "ghost" movie. It's not. I promise. You walk away from it feeling all sad and pondering.
   "Well, I don't WANT to be sad and pondering! I wanna be scared!" some of you are saying.
   Okay, so there is ONE scare. In the entire movie. But it's not a cheap jump scare or anything like that. It is truly horrifying. The first time I saw it, I was all. . .

  

Seriously, guys. SEE THIS MOVIE!!!


4 1/2 stars (-1/2 star, 'cause I don't get the point of the sex tape stuff. Maybe Andy gets it and can fill you in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment